Tuesday, July 9, 2013

mackinac



Hello, all. It's amazing what a little time off does. A little trip up to Mackinac Island the weekend before last got my staycation off on the right start. [A few facts about the island: it's located in the North of Michigan, just off the shore of the Upper Peninsula just to the east of where Lake Michigan feeds into Lake Huron; 80% of the island is a national park; and no automobiles (except for emergency motor vehicles) are allowed on the island, so island transport is limited to walking, horsepower, or bikes (and snowmobiles in the winter).] I've always loved being near the water so being on an island  was heaven for me. The weather was beautiful, time moved slowly, and I could not have had a better time. I'd love to share some pictures below.

my little sis on the ferry ride in

 enjoying the sun

 boats in the harbor

 one way to get around the island: horse power

 beautiful flowers on Main Street





On our second day there, we took a morning bike ride around the island. All 8.2 miles were right by the water, and the roads seemed infinite. We stopped for a minute to skip some rocks on a rocky beach (above). It was definitely my favorite part about the trip.

We had a lovely stay at a charming bed-and-breakfast: Haan's 1830 Inn. The owner, Nick, was really nice and accommodating, and I can't recommend it enough. It's not the most modern of buildings, it being from circa 1830, after all (but it does come with wi-fi and air conditioning), but the rich decor and interiors, the welcoming proprietors, and the included breakfast of great coffee, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, fresh bread and bagels, and made-from- scratch, to-die-for scones, apple cinnamon muffins, and coffee cake were more than enough. I was looking for a relaxing stay, and it was nice to not have the distraction of a tv or a swimming pool. 

Now that I'm home, my internet continues to be down, but fingers crossed, everything will be up and running tonight. 

I hope you all had a lovely Fourth of July, and happy Tuesday!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Mackinac Island! I lived in Michigan for over 20 years and we use to travel up there all the time. I remember always stocking up on their fudge. It's such a nice, historic and quaint little place. I really miss visiting there, thanks so much for sharing these pictures, it really brought back memories


    Christy
    Sunny with a side of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your vacation served you well - it looks like such a gorgeous place to visit!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I appreciate you stopping by. I read each and every comment, so feel free to drop me a note.

Want to know more? Have more questions? Email me at lovelyhes@gmail.com