Monday, April 22, 2013

little luxuries


In the everyday hustle and bustle of things, it's easy to get lost in all the problems - the traffic is bad, the weather is lousy, you woke up with a pimple, you're having a bad hair day (or week), etc., etc. Whenever I find myself starting to get too obsessed with the negatives, I make it a point to stop, take a breath, and start dwelling on everything that is positive. I call them 'little luxuries'. They may seem like small, inconsequential things, but as with a lot of things, good things come in small packages.

one: a coffee break. whether it's homemade or grabbed from the Starbucks, caffeine almost always does the trick for me. 

two: candles. I'm a scent type of person. whenever I catch a whiff of something that smells good - cookies, my perfume on my scarf, etc. - I feel better. why not have that experience whenever you want by lighting a candle of your favorite scent? (my favorite candles are verveine and mimosa, both from diptyque.)

three: flowers. getting a great big bouquet is always nice, but I find that small bunches of whatever flower is in bloom or looks the cheeriest is just as nice.

four: lipstick. many, many crappy days have been salvaged by the purchase of a little tube of lipstick. it doesn't need to be expensive, just something that makes you feel whatever you need to feel at the moment - beautiful, happy, invincible, or elegant.

five: music. I tend to play music that matches my mood. when I'm pensive and moody, I like to put on Bach, especially Moonlight Sonata. when I'm coming up to the hardest part of my cardio workout, I turn my iPod on to my current get-through-the-worst-part anthems: either Lose Yourself  by Eminem (still a classic!) or Another One Bites the Dust by Queen (because I don't want to be 'another one'). 

six: humor. find something funny - a tv show, a meme, a joke you had with a friend at the party last week. laughter is a great medicine, maybe the best.

seven: get lost in a good book. it's literally (ha!) an escape.

eight: poached eggs. are. amazing. I swear they're one of life's most amazing gifts.

nine: perfume. I may never afford that Dolce & Gabbana leopard print anything but I can smell like the woman who would be rocking D&G leopard print everything. scent is personal; it's an attitude. let it change yours when you need it most. (oh, and an organized vanity is a little luxury, too.)

What are your little luxuries? Have a great Monday!


images via one||two||three||four||five||six||seven||eight||nine

6 comments:

  1. Such a cute post! Love the little luxuries we take for granted. Poached eggs are the best =)

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    www.StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poached eggs ARE the best...they would definitely have to be on my "last supper" list.

      Delete
  2. great look!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. really love this amazing picturos of those beautiful red lipss
    so so cool!

    www.alesclutch.blogspot.com
    Sergio,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was struck by how amazing they were when I saw them on pinterest...if only my lips look like that when I'm sporting a red lip!

      Delete

Hi there! I appreciate you stopping by. I read each and every comment, so feel free to drop me a note.

Want to know more? Have more questions? Email me at lovelyhes@gmail.com